Questions to ask your Marriage Celebrant

What are the Legal Documentation / Requirements to be married in Australia?

Never valid married – Birth Certificate & Drivers Licence/Passport.

Divorced – Birth Certificate, Drivers Licence/Passport & Divorce Papers (Decree Absolute).

Widow or Widower – Birth Certificate, Drivers Licence/Passport & Death Certificate.

Photo ID is also required (Drivers Licence/Passport) will suffice.

A current passport for people who are not Australian Citizens is sufficient, although your Birth Certificate is preferable.

If you are born overseas and do not have a Birth Certificate, your Passport will suffice.  However if you do not have either, and you are unable to locate a copy of your Birth Certificate, you may complete a Commonwealth Statutory Declaration (duly signed by myself, as a Justice of the Peace).

Notice of Intended Marriage

In order to be married in Australia you must lodge a ‘Notice of Intended Marriage’ form with myself at least thirty (30) days prior to and no more than eighteen (18) months prior to your chosen date. You may obtain this form from myself or online from the Attorney-General’s website which is www.ag.gov.au go to the section marked (Marriage), then the section marked (Getting Married), then go to (Downloads) for the “Notice of Intended Marriage” form.

Alternatively this can be collected from an Australian Embassy or Australian High Commission (outside Australia) or online, (please see paragraph above for website).

If you are completing this form outside Australia, you must complete all personal particulars and have your signatures witnessed before: an Australian Diplomatic Officer, an Australian Consular Officer, or a person who meets the requirements of one of the categories of authorised people in the Australian Couples section. NOTE: Only Australian citizens living or in transit overseas with these qualifications are acceptable.

If this form is being completed elsewhere, please have it duly witnessed by (see page 4 of the form to identify the correct prescribed authority.  Please return the Notice to me prior to the minimum thirty (30) days Notice Period and no more than eighteen (18) months prior to the decided wedding date.

All documentation should be in English.

Wedding Formalities

You should contact me to make an appointment no less than thirty (30) days prior to your suggested date of your forthcoming wedding. This initial contact will confirm my availability for your preferred date.  If I am unavailable I am happy to recommend another Celebrant should you so desire.

At this meeting we can complete the Notice of Intended Marriage together, or if you have already completed the form, but not signed, then this can be done with myself as the witness, (signing should be witnessed by the Celebrant where possible). This notice is valid for eighteen (18) months. We can also discuss your ceremony requirements. The completed Notice of Intended Marriage is retained by myself until the wedding, then lodged electronically along with the Marriage Certificate.


Your wedding ceremony may be located anywhere which is suitable to both of you in Australia – it’s your choice!

Pre-Marital Course

This is not a pre-requisite, however should you wish to attend, I have course information readily available.

Marrying an Australian

If you wish to marry and live (IN AUSTRALIA) you will require either a Fiance or Spouse Visa, I am happy to assist the necessary documentation for immigration. Once you obtain this visa, your wedding must take place within nine (9) months of your arrival in Australia.

Visiting Overseas Couples wishing to marry in Australia

AUSTRALIA is a wonderful place for a wedding! Many couples travel from overseas to marry and honeymoon in our magnificent country. There is no reason why you can’t marry here and the legal requirements under the Marriage Act apply to you also. You should, however, check with your local authorities as to whether your marriage in Australia would be recognised when you return home. There is no reason why it should not be recognised and many couples experience the wonder and delight of being married here. Please feel free to utilise my expertise in this area. I am happy to organise the legal paperwork and assist you with your ceremony. You only have to email your thoughts and requirements.

Post Marriage

You may require a Registered Certificate of Marriage from Births Deaths & Marriages for legal reasons, ie Change of Name, Drivers Licence, New Passport etc.

Please note it is important for Non-Australian Residents, and those seeking Permanent Residency to obtain this Certificate.  If you live in a non-British Commonwealth country it is also important to obtain an Apostille Stamp from the Department of Foreign Affairs in Sydney, so you may register your marriage in your country of residence.

Celebrations with Style – my Profession & my Passion

I am also a Justice of the Peace, Registration No. 141125.

I am a member of the Australian Marriage Celebrants Inc. (AMC) and abide by their recommendations.

Contact Me Now!

Cari Worstencroft

Ph: +61 2 4233 2443
Fax: +61 2 4233 2445
Mob: 0411 544 999


187 Riversdale Rd
Kiama NSW 2533


4 + 8 =

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This